Keto Lemon Meringue Custard
- 1/3 cup erythritol (stevia, blend*)
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 2 large egg whites (stevia, blend*)
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 tablespoon erythritol (stevia, blend*)
- 1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a medium saucepan, combine 1/3 cup sweetener, xanthan gum, salt, and zest.
- Place saucepan on the stove and whisk in about a tablespoon of the heavy cream.
- Turn heat to low and gradually add the remaining cream, 1-2 tablespoons at a time.
- Be sure to whisk thoroughly between each addition.
- Once all of the cream has been added, whisk in the egg yolks.
- Increase heat to medium-low, stirring frequently.
- When the mixture begins to simmer, remove from heat and stir in ½ teaspoon of vanilla and lemon extract.
- Transfer the mixture to four 4-oz.
- Prepare the meringue right away so the custard will still be warm when the meringue is spread on top.
- In a small bowl, whip together the egg whites and cream of tartar using an electric mixer at medium-high speed until soft peaks form.
- Add 1 tablespoon of sweetener, and 1/8 teaspoon of vanilla ,and beat at high speed until stiff peaks form.
- Evenly spoon the mixture onto each of the custards.
- Be sure to seal the edges of the custard with the meringue.
- To create peaks, press down on the meringue with a spoon and then briskly lift upward.
- After spreading the meringue, adjust top rack of your oven so it is about 8 inches below the broiler element.
- Turn the broiler to high heat.
- Transfer the ramekins to a cookie sheet and place the sheet on the top rack.
- When the meringue begins to brown (about 10-20 seconds), turn around the cookie sheet and broil for another 10-20 seconds.
- The tips of the meringue should be brown, but the base should still be white.
- Do not over-brown the meringue as over-browning can make the meringue tough.
Originally posted 2019-02-20 18:08:57.