Keto Eggplant Parmesan
- 1 eggplant (large,
- 1/2 teaspoon salt ,
- 1 large eggs ,
- 1 tablespoon heavy whipping cream (large, 500 g/ 1.1 lb)
- 1/2 cup almond flour (large, 500 g/ 1.1 lb)
- 1/2 cup coconut flour (large, 500 g/ 1.1 lb)
- 1 teaspoon Italian herbs ,
- 1 cup parmesan cheese (large, 500 g/ 1.1 lb)
- salt ,
- pepper ,
- 1/4 cup ghee (large, 500 g/ 1.1 lb)
- marinara sauce (large, 500 g/ 1.1 lb)
- Cut the eggplant widthwise into thin slices (about 1/4 inch / 1/2 cm thick). Season the slices with 1/2 teaspoon of salt and leave to rest for about an hour. Pat dry the excess moisture with a clean kitchen cloth or paper towel. I placed each slice between two pieces of paper towel and squeezed to drain. Crack the egg into a bowl and beat with the cream. Place the grated Parmesan cheese a medium bowl and mix with Italian herbs (I used oregano, basil and thyme). In another bowl, combine the coconut and almond flour. Start by dipping the eggplant slices, one at a time, in the egg, then in grated Parmesan cheese ... ... and then finally in the almond and coconut flour mix. It's common to end up with some leftover coating, as every batch can vary. Heat a large pan greased with half of the ghee. Add the eggplant slices in a single layer and fry on each side over a medium-high heat for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown and crispy. Fry the eggplant in batches and grease the pan as needed. Make sure the pan is hot before frying the slices. Don't be tempted to turn the slices too soon or the "breading" may fall off. Place the fried eggplant on a plate and repeat for the remaining slices. Enjoy hot or cold!
Originally posted 2019-02-20 16:55:17.