Keto Eggplant Parmesan
- 1 eggplant (large
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon heavy whipping cream (large, 500 g/ 1.1 lb)
- 1/2 cup almond flour (large, 500 g/ 1.1 lb)
- 1/2 cup coconut flour (large, 500 g/ 1.1 lb)
- 1 teaspoon Italian herbs
- 1 cup parmesan cheese (large, 500 g/ 1.1 lb)
- 1/4 cup ghee (large, 500 g/ 1.1 lb)
- marinara sauce (large, 500 g/ 1.1 lb)
- Cut the eggplant widthwise into thin slices (about 1/4 inch / 1/2 cm thick).
- Season the slices with 1/2 teaspoon of salt and leave to rest for about an hour.
- Pat dry the excess moisture with a clean kitchen cloth or paper towel.
- I placed each slice between two pieces of paper towel and squeezed to drain.
- Crack the egg into a bowl and beat with the cream.
- Place the grated Parmesan cheese a medium bowl and mix with Italian herbs (I used oregano, basil and thyme).
- In another bowl, combine the coconut and almond flour.
- Start by dipping the eggplant slices, one at a time, in the egg, then in grated Parmesan cheese ...
- and then finally in the almond and coconut flour mix.
- It's common to end up with some leftover coating, as every batch can vary.
- Heat a large pan greased with half of the ghee.
- Add the eggplant slices in a single layer and fry on each side over a medium-high heat for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown and crispy.
- Fry the eggplant in batches and grease the pan as needed.
- Make sure the pan is hot before frying the slices.
- Don't be tempted to turn the slices too soon or the "breading" may fall off.
- Place the fried eggplant on a plate and repeat for the remaining slices.
- Enjoy hot or cold!
Originally posted 2019-02-20 16:55:17.