Healthy Homemade Beef Jerky
- 500 grams lean minced beef (1.1 lb)
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper (1.1 lb)
- 1 teaspoon salt (1.1 lb)
- 1 tablespoon coconut aminos
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Place all the ingredients in a bowl: minced meat, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, black pepper, salt and coconut aminos.
- Mix using your hands.
- Place the meat mix on top of a strong parchment paper or a heatproof baking mat and press down using your hands to flatten.
- Use a rolling pin and roll out until you get a rectangular shape, about 1/4 inch (1/2 cm) thick.
- Pre-cut the jerky into thin slices using a pizza cutter.
- Place in the oven preheated to 90 °C/ 190 °F and cook for 4-5 hours, until dry.
- Drain the excess juices every 2 hours.
- Flipping the jerky on the other side half way through the cooking process will speed up the drying.
- If you decide to make two batches of beef jerky, make sure you use two baking sheets - each for one batch.
- You could also use a dehydrator and dry on a higher temperature setting.
- When done, remove from the oven and let it cool down for 5 minutes.
- Using a pizza cutter, slice the pre-cut jerky.
- Store in the fridge in an airtight container for up to a month, or freeze for up to 3 months.
- Eat by itself or with low-carb dips like Guacamole, Baba Ganoush or Cheesy Low-Carb Dip.
- Reserve the meat juices for cooking - it will add flavour to your meals! Simply pour in a jar and keep refrigerated for up to a week.
Originally posted 2019-02-20 17:39:54.