Healthy Homemade Beef Jerky
- 500 grams lean minced beef (1.1 lb)
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder ,
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder ,
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika ,
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper (1.1 lb)
- 1 teaspoon salt (1.1 lb)
- 1 tablespoon coconut aminos ,
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes ,
- Place all the ingredients in a bowl: minced meat, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, black pepper, salt and coconut aminos. Mix using your hands. Place the meat mix on top of a strong parchment paper or a heatproof baking mat and press down using your hands to flatten. Use a rolling pin and roll out until you get a rectangular shape, about 1/4 inch (1/2 cm) thick. Pre-cut the jerky into thin slices using a pizza cutter. Place in the oven preheated to 90 °C/ 190 °F and cook for 4-5 hours, until dry. Drain the excess juices every 2 hours. Flipping the jerky on the other side half way through the cooking process will speed up the drying. If you decide to make two batches of beef jerky, make sure you use two baking sheets - each for one batch. You could also use a dehydrator and dry on a higher temperature setting. When done, remove from the oven and let it cool down for 5 minutes. Using a pizza cutter, slice the pre-cut jerky. Store in the fridge in an airtight container for up to a month, or freeze for up to 3 months. Eat by itself or with low-carb dips like Guacamole, Baba Ganoush or Cheesy Low-Carb Dip. Reserve the meat juices for cooking - it will add flavour to your meals! Simply pour in a jar and keep refrigerated for up to a week.
Originally posted 2019-02-20 17:39:54.