Ground Beef Empanadas (keto, low carb)
- 1 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese
- 3 ounces cream cheese
- 1 1/4 cups almond flour
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup green olives (chopped, if desired)
- 1 teaspoon chile powder (chopped, if desired)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/3 cup salsa (chopped, if desired)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In a pan over medium heat, cook onions in 1-2 tbsp olive oil until slightly softened.
- Add in ground beef and break up with a spatula.
- Season meat mixture with chile powder, cumin and smoked paprika.
- Cook until browned.
- Add in salsa of choice and olives if using.
- Set aside.
- While meat is cooking, add mozzarella and cream cheese to a bowl and microwave for one minute.
- Take out and stir well, then put back in the microwave for another minute.
- Stir well.
- Add egg to mozzarella and cream cheese mixture and mix well.
- Then add in the almond flour and combine well again.
- Roll the dough flat with a rolling pin or with a piece of plastic wrap on top and use a wine bottles.
- Once you've rolled it flat, about ¼" thick, use a bowl to cut circle shapes.
- For excess dough, form into a ball then roll out again and repeat the process until all the dough has been used.
- Lay on a lightly greased cooking sheet, parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Place a couple spoonfuls of meat mixture into each circle on one half and then fold the other half over.
- Make sure to press down firmly on the edges.
- You can also slightly roll the edges to make sure they're together well or use a fork to gently push down the edges.
- Once you've made all the empanadas, cook at 425 degrees for 12 minutes until starting to turn golden brown
Originally posted 2019-02-20 18:44:26.