Gluten Free & Keto Speculoos (i.e. Biscoff Cookies!)
- 160 grams almond flour
- 8 grams arrowroot powder (optional*)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 3/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg (optional*)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 80 grams grass-fed butter
- 80 grams Swerve Sweetener
- 9 grams blackstrap molasses (optional*)
- 1 egg whites (optional*)
- slivered almonds (optional*)
- Add almond flour, arrowroot powder, salt, baking soda, xanthan gum, and spices to a medium bowl.
- Whisk until thoroughly combined and set aside.Cream butter in a large bowl with an electric mixer, 2-3 minutes.
- Add in sweetener and molasses (optional), and continue to beat until thoroughly mixed and much of the sweetener has dissolved.
- Add in egg, mixing until just incorporated.
- The mixture will appear slightly 'broken' (i.e.
- not thoroughly smooth).
- With your mixer on low, add in half of your flour mixture- mixing until just incorporated.
- Mix in the rest.Wrap cookie dough with cling film (saran wrap) and refrigerate overnight (much preferred).
- But if in a pickle, 3 hours will do.
- Preheat oven to 350°F/180°C and line a baking tray with parchment paper.You have two options here.
- Either roll out the dough between two pieces of parchment paper and do cutout cookies.
- Or divide cookie dough into 24 and press onto wooden cookie mold to shape.
- Just be sure to get them nice and thin, as they'll thicken more when baked.
- Place shaped cookies on the prepared baking tray and place in the freezer for 10 minutes prior to baking.
- Brush with a very lightly beaten egg white (don't get it frothy!) to get that nice shiny finish.
- And decorate with slivered almonds (optional).
- Otherwise, leave them as they are for a matte finish (similar to gingerbread cookies).
- And bake for 9-14 minutes (depending on size), until deep golden.
- Allow to cool for ten minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
- Allow to cool completely, as they'll continue to crunch up (keto cookies take a few hours for the sweetener to Harden up completely!).
- Store in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Originally posted 2019-02-20 18:12:56.