Flax Jacks Pancakes (paleo, starch-free, keto, low carb)
- 1/4 cup flax seed meal (ground golden)
- 1 eggs (large pastured)
- 1 tablespoon nut milk (ground golden)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice (ground golden)
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1 dash cinnamon (ground golden)
- sweetener (optional: a little
- shortening (add to skillet/pan: a little organic palm
- Mix ingredients together in a bowl.
- If your batter is too thick, add a little more liquid.
- The batter will be sticky, and that is what you want, but it also needs to be wet enough to properly spread out the pancakes.
- Heat a skillet or fry pan up to medium heat, add cooking fat/oil.
- For fool proof pancakes make sure you pan/skillet is hot enough before adding any batter.
- You are shooting for a thoroughly heated pan set at medium heat (or for my stove this is set *just below medium heat*), patience is key for making sure the pan is at the right temp before adding the batter.
- Spoon the batter onto the cooking surface and form 3 pancakes, using the spoon to gently push the batter around to form your pancakes.
- Ground flax seed + water acts a bit like glue together, and these pancakes will hold together really well when flipping, so that is a plus! Cook pancakes for about a minute or two per side.
- Generally once bubbles appear in your pancake batter, they are ready to flip.
- The key to perfect flaxjacks is making sure they are thoroughly cooked, but not burnt.
- Burnt flax taste yucky – so try hard not to burn them, while at the same time making sure they are thoroughly cooked.
- It’s a bit of an art, but you will get the hang of it! I also love making flax waffles, see my recipe for flax waffles.
- See my New Flax Cinnamon Walnut Muffin Recipe too!
Originally posted 2019-02-20 18:48:41.