Flax Jacks Pancakes (paleo, starch-free, keto, low carb)
- 1/4 cup flax seed meal (ground golden)
- 1 eggs (large pastured),
- 1 tablespoon nut milk (ground golden)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice (ground golden)
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda ,
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract ,
- 1 pinch sea salt ,
- 1 dash cinnamon (ground golden)
- sweetener (optional: a little,
- shortening (add to skillet/pan: a little organic palm
- Mix ingredients together in a bowl. If your batter is too thick, add a little more liquid. The batter will be sticky, and that is what you want, but it also needs to be wet enough to properly spread out the pancakes. Heat a skillet or fry pan up to medium heat, add cooking fat/oil. For fool proof pancakes make sure you pan/skillet is hot enough before adding any batter. You are shooting for a thoroughly heated pan set at medium heat (or for my stove this is set *just below medium heat*), patience is key for making sure the pan is at the right temp before adding the batter. Spoon the batter onto the cooking surface and form 3 pancakes, using the spoon to gently push the batter around to form your pancakes. Ground flax seed + water acts a bit like glue together, and these pancakes will hold together really well when flipping, so that is a plus! Cook pancakes for about a minute or two per side. Generally once bubbles appear in your pancake batter, they are ready to flip. The key to perfect flaxjacks is making sure they are thoroughly cooked, but not burnt. Burnt flax taste yucky – so try hard not to burn them, while at the same time making sure they are thoroughly cooked. It’s a bit of an art, but you will get the hang of it! I also love making flax waffles, see my recipe for flax waffles. See my New Flax Cinnamon Walnut Muffin Recipe too!
Originally posted 2019-02-20 18:48:41.