Easy Low-carb Bagels
- 1 cup almond butter (here is how to make your own, 250 g / 8.8 oz)
- 4 large eggs (here is how to make your own, 250 g / 8.8 oz)
- 1/4 cup coconut milk (here is how to make your own, 250 g / 8.8 oz)
- 1/4 cup water (here is how to make your own, 250 g / 8.8 oz)
- 1/4 cup coconut flour (here is how to make your own, 250 g / 8.8 oz)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda ,
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar (here is how to make your own, 250 g / 8.8 oz)
- 1 teaspoon salt (here is how to make your own, 250 g / 8.8 oz)
- Make Almond & Cashew Butter (follow this recipe) if you haven't done so. The butter has to be warm before you mix it with the other ingredients. Cold nut butter straight from the fridge would be difficult to mix. If needed, warm it up slightly in a water bath or a microwave oven. Preheat the oven to 200 °C/ 400 °F. Separate the egg whites from the egg yolks. Place the egg yolks into the warm Almond & Cashew Butter and add baking soda. Season with salt and pour in lukewarm coconut milk (or cream) and lukewarm water. Process with an electric mixer until well combined. In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites. Add cream of tartar while beating until they create soft peaks. Add the coconut flour into the bowl with the sticky dough and mix well. Then, add the egg whites into the bowl and process until well combined. Spoon the dough into a bagel pan. Place in the oven and cook for 5 minutes at 200 °C/ 400 °F. Then, lower the temperature to 150 °C/ 300 °F and cook for another 15-20 minutes. When done, remove from the oven and set aside to cool down. Cut widthwise and fill with your favourite ingredients. I used my Paleo Avocado Pesto, mozzarella, cherry tomatoes and green lettuce leaves. You can try all sorts of condiments: ketchup, mayo, cream cheese, sauerkraut, mustard, etc. (a complete list of home-made ingredients is on my blog). These bagels are best eaten within 1-3 days but you can refrigerate or freeze them for longer. Enjoy!
Originally posted 2019-02-20 17:50:49.