Easy Low-carb Bagels
- 1 cup almond butter (here is how to make your own, 250 g / 8.8 oz)
- 4 large eggs (here is how to make your own, 250 g / 8.8 oz)
- 1/4 cup coconut milk (here is how to make your own, 250 g / 8.8 oz)
- 1/4 cup water (here is how to make your own, 250 g / 8.8 oz)
- 1/4 cup coconut flour (here is how to make your own, 250 g / 8.8 oz)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar (here is how to make your own, 250 g / 8.8 oz)
- 1 teaspoon salt (here is how to make your own, 250 g / 8.8 oz)
- Make Almond & Cashew Butter (follow this recipe) if you haven't done so.
- The butter has to be warm before you mix it with the other ingredients.
- Cold nut butter straight from the fridge would be difficult to mix.
- If needed, warm it up slightly in a water bath or a microwave oven.
- Preheat the oven to 200 °C/ 400 °F.
- Separate the egg whites from the egg yolks.
- Place the egg yolks into the warm Almond & Cashew Butter and add baking soda.
- Season with salt and pour in lukewarm coconut milk (or cream) and lukewarm water.
- Process with an electric mixer until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites.
- Add cream of tartar while beating until they create soft peaks.
- Add the coconut flour into the bowl with the sticky dough and mix well.
- Then, add the egg whites into the bowl and process until well combined.
- Spoon the dough into a bagel pan.
- Place in the oven and cook for 5 minutes at 200 °C/ 400 °F.
- Then, lower the temperature to 150 °C/ 300 °F and cook for another 15-20 minutes.
- When done, remove from the oven and set aside to cool down.
- Cut widthwise and fill with your favourite ingredients.
- I used my Paleo Avocado Pesto, mozzarella, cherry tomatoes and green lettuce leaves.
- You can try all sorts of condiments: ketchup, mayo, cream cheese, sauerkraut, mustard, etc.
- (a complete list of home-made ingredients is on my blog).
- These bagels are best eaten within 1-3 days but you can refrigerate or freeze them for longer.
Originally posted 2019-02-20 17:50:49.